Professional Tips That Are Guaranteed To Improve Your Interview Game
Interviews are highly nerve racking things we all have to participate in adult life, but the keys aspects is to do your research and just try and relax. As if you don’t relax employers won’t get a sense of your real personality and it could go against their view of you. To put in a good performance in an interview the key is planning, practice and positivity. An interview is an audition. You need to project yourself as the sort of person the interviewer wants to hire to join their team. It doesn’t matter whether you are being hired or looking for careers in construction or even an administrator role interviews are key to whether you get the job or not. Here is a list of tips to think about before going to an interview.
Researching the organisation is not enough these days. You need to understand your interviewer and why they are hiring. One way or another they are seeking a resource as a solution to an identified problem. Just checking out the company’s website, report and accounts is no longer enough. Work on understanding the organisational need and how you can add value to the role. Look at the challenges and opportunities the company face and work out how to show that your experience and expertise are relevant to them. Explore the industry market, their competitors and the changes taking place in the industry if you can. Use you network if you have one, to find out information about the interview and their preferences, the company and its real culture.
Delivery As Well As Content
With the competition for jobs fiercer than it has ever been the delivery is just as important as your answers. Rehearse what you say when an interview asks what you do, why you left, what you have achieved and other commonly asked questions. If you are able to talk about yourself comfortably with confidence and concisely employers will find them far more attractive than if you are stumped for answers. You will need to practice so that you have the right words, and won’t get flustered. Talk at the right pace and crucially know when the right time is to stop. The key in an interview is to have consistency with your words and your body language.
An interview should be a dialogue between the employer and the candidate, most interviewers that are trained are told to do about 30 per cent of the talking and the candidate to make up the rest of the 70 per cent. However a smart candidate wants a 50/50 dialogue. You should aim for a conversation, which is directed at your strengths to show off your personality and skills to the employer. The key aim is to have positive interaction. Make it easy for the interviewer, build rapport and find some common ground, but don’t make it too friendly as you still need to stay professional. Remember an interview is a two way conversation for the employer to find out about the candidate, and the candidate to find out whether it is the right role and company for them.
It may be confidence, self-esteem or self-belief to really stand out in an interview you will need to show the interviewer that you will make a good employee with a positive outlook. If you can show that you are good at interacting, reading a situation, good at selling yourself and your ideas that is possibly the hardest thing to do in an interview. The best thing is to practice your interview technique and it will make it easier for you to shine. Try not to be nervous as you will need to believe you are a good candidate for the role and if you believe you can do it, then you can and the interviewer will believe in you too.
After the interview, you may be inclined to wait it out until the company contact you which is entirely fine. But if the interview went well it can’t hurt sending an e-mail thanking them for seeing you. Also reiterate how interested you are in them and the role. Review the key points of the interview when you discussed challenges and opportunities and outline how you can help them meet those. There are obviously no guarantees but if you work at it you’ll ultimately become a better interviewee and practice does always make perfect. If you don’t happen to get the role, the interviewer may even be able to shed some light as to why you were not successful.