A Few Tips for Drying Up Home Moisture Problems
(ARA) - It's an enemy many homeowners continuously battle. An intruder that can't be seen or heard but is felt lurking throughout their homes…moisture. Homes with excessive moisture are susceptible to musty odors, peeling paint, stains on walls, damp floors, and condensation on windows and cold surfaces. But more importantly, the health of the home's occupants is at risk due to possible exposure to allergens that can bring about a variety of ailments. One of the major causes of excessive home moisture is a lack of ventilation. Homeowners are sealing and insulating their houses so tight the natural exchange of air on each side of the wall is being eliminated, trapping any condensation that might arise from temperature changes and providing an ideal breeding ground for moisture related bacteria.
Consider taking the following actions so you can enjoy a well-ventilated, dry, healthy living environment:
* Open windows and doors when possible to air out your house.
* Use fans and exhaust vents to circulate air and reduce condensation. Due to high levels of water usage, showers, kitchens and laundry areas should all be equipped with outwardly vented exhaust fans.
* Choose building or remodeling products designed to regulate moisture. One such product is Crane Performance Siding's CraneBoard Solid Core Siding. This alternative to natural wood or fiber cement exterior siding features the company's new, patent-pending SmartTrack technology, an enhancement to their time-tested Solid Core backing. Crane's Solid Core backing insulation is breathable -- moisture evaporates as it passes through the panel. SmartTrack channels now add an extra level of assurance. This diagonal series of grooves guide any excess moisture away through "release-holes" at the bottom of the panel.
* Check the condition of your roof at least twice a year. Look for the slightest punctures, cracks or breaks that may result in future problems. Also inspect rain gutters, downspouts and extensions for leaks.
* Regularly inspect windows, doors and foundations for excessive air infiltration or any water seepage. Be sure to repair or replace damaged or worn caulk, weather stripping, glazing, window seals or door seals.
* Purchase a dependable portable dehumidifier with humidity control. Be sure to clean the unit regularly to prevent mold growth.
Taking these simple steps can help protect your home from cosmetic moisture damage, and eliminate an environment where allergens can flourish.
For more information or to find a Crane Performance Siding Dealer call (800) 366-8472 or visit www.cranesiding.com.
This site is no longer updated.
Click this link to have updated home improvement news and articles.
About the Author
©2005 All rights reserved
Courtesy of ARA Content
Courtesy of ARA Content