The key to success nowadays is a strong online presence. Regardless of the type of business you have or service you provide, digital marketing is simply necessary to make sure your products or services are visible to larger groups of people. Since the internet and digital media constantly evolve, marketing trends change to accommodate new standards and demands. Here are digital marketing trends you should keep your eye on in 2017.
- Augmented reality
In 2016, PokemonGo mania took over the planet and earned the staggering $10 million a day during its peak. Despite the fact that enthusiasm for this game toned down significantly, it showed that users are ready for augmented reality (AR) experience. It is not uncommon for people to assume that augmented and virtual reality refers to the same thing, but they do have differences. The virtual reality is entirely immersive and user faces the isolated reality. On the other hand, augmented reality is partly immersive.
The AR benefits for business are numerous and it is assumed that it will change the shape of commerce thoroughly. The core advantage for business in AR development for smartphones and tablets is that the hardware is available and the usage is intuitive and understanding. For example, AR will allow potential customers to try out the clothes without actually putting it on physically. They’ll also be able to shop for furniture and try out many other things straight from the Android/iOS app.
Reasons, why AR is the digital marketing trend you should invest in this year, are numerous, such as:
- Technology is unique and noticeable
- AR is the future of business
- AR gets more virility
- Allows personalization
- Content quality improvement
- Live video streaming
Nowadays, social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram feature the live option which allows users to live stream videos. It was only a matter of time when this useful option will become the major digital marketing trend since users began demanding more in-the-moment content. Here are some reasons why live video streaming should be your digital marketing strategy of choice:
- It is the natural extension of video marketing – video marketing is highly important for promoting products and services, therefore using the live feature is just the extension of this marketing strategy
- Interactive – live video streams allow users to comment and interact, which takes the entire experience to a whole new level. The interactive nature also gives businesses the opportunity to communicate with consumers
- Cost-effective – one of the major reasons why live video streams are popular is because they’re cost-effective and easy to implement. All you need is good internet connection and a device with high-quality camera
- BTS access – transparency is the biggest issue among consumers; which is why they want to know what’s going on behind the scene. Basically, they want to know how a certain business does things, live videos make that happen
- Data visualization
Digital marketing revolves around data. After all, you need quantitative information to determine who’s buying what, why, when, and so on. That said, even the best data analysts experience problems understanding what the data is really saying. Luckily, technology is catching up and you’re able to use different data visualization tools. In 2017, every business will use one of these tools and avoid to invest in them will put you at a great disadvantage. Benefits of using data visualization tools are:
- Data visualization enables users to receive vast amounts of information regarding operational and business conditions
- It allows users to see connections as they are occurring between operating conditions and business performance more effectively
- Data visualization enables you to identify and act on emerging trends faster
- Influencer marketing
Reaching out to influential bloggers is yet another digital marketing strategy you should consider if you haven’t already. Now that bloggers are taking over all social media websites and they gain thousands of followers, most businesses (big and small) reach out to them in a bid to get their products or services promoted. This practice is referred to as influencer marketing, a form of marketing wherein focus is placed on specific key individuals rather than the target market as a whole. Below, you can see some reasons why you should try out this digital marketing trend:
- Improved search ranking thanks to promotions or mentions by influential bloggers
- Ability to generate high-quality leads and potential customers
- Engaging new target audiences
- Building trust with your audiences
- Your offer is placed where the target audience is most active
This form of marketing has many other benefits if we consider that traditional ads are old-fashioned and pricey.
- Niche marketing
Online marketing is getting more crowded by the day while the number of available consumers is more or less steady. To stand out and survive in the competitive business today is engaging in niche marketing. Niche marketing is a type of marketing geared toward a specific population, or niche and its benefits are numerous:
- Improved customer relationships
- Reduced competition
- Increased visibility among the target population i.e. niche
- Increased profit with reduced marketing costs
- Greater trust and credibility
The goal of niche marketing is to make your products or services visible to more people within the niche, rather than more people in general. Social media websites and other opportunities that the internet provides make this digital marketing strategy highly effective.
- Behavior-based email marketing
In 2017, digital marketing is all about segmented and behavior-based email marketing. That said, since consumers subscribe to more brands online, the volume of emails hitting their inboxes keeps getting bigger and the chances are high they simply delete them all. With constant emails from brands, the unsubscribe rates are high and it is needless to mention most people don’t even open those emails before deleting them.
Let’s face it, consumers will not pay attention to your email if they don’t find it useful. This is where behavior-based email marketing steps in; segmenting your email list based on consumers’ behavior. This type of digital marketing strategy allows you to send customized emails directly to the specific individuals only. Benefits of this marketing strategy are:
- Decreased unsubscribe rate
- More subscribers
- Emails’ open rate increases
- Greater visibility of the official website
- Generating more leads
- More profit
- Sponsored blog posts
This digital marketing strategy is related to connecting with influencers (#4). The purpose here is to connect with bloggers whose websites generate a lot of traffic and establish sponsored blog posts collaboration. You can use a wide spectrum of blogger outreach tools and services to find influencers and bloggers whose websites have a lot of “hits”, contact them, and establish a long-term relationship. Benefits of this digital marketing strategy are the following:
- Business or service gets the exposure to new audiences and customer demographics
- Sponsored bloggers deliver your brand message authentically
- Your brand website and social media profiles get more traffic
- The brand gets access to original content by re-purposing posts published by sponsored bloggers
Digital marketing trends change and evolve together with technology and the internet. In 2017, promoting the business or service online is all about offering an interactive experience, getting closer to the target audience, and use the benefits of bloggers and influencers to increase the traffic and make the brand website visible to a larger group of people.