The terrorist group Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of more than 300 students from a secondary school in the town of Kankara, in the state of Katsina, in northern Nigeria, although it has not yet announced the demands it is making for their release.

According to the Nigerian news portal HumAngle, directed by Ahmed Salkida, an expert in Boko Haram, the leader of the terrorist group, Abubakar Shekau, has released a video in the early morning of Tuesday in which he claims the kidnapping of the students of Katsina.

“What has happened in Katsina has been done to promote Islam and discourage non-Islamic practices in Western education, which is not the kind of education permitted by Allah and his holy prophet,” said Boko Haram’s leader.

“Nor is it teaching what Allah and his holy prophet commanded. Instead they are destroying Islam. It may be subtle but Allah, the god of the heavens and the earth, knows all that is hidden. May Allah promote Islam and may we die as Muslims,” Shekau stressed in his message, to which HumAngle had access. “We are behind what has happened in Katsina,” he said, before saying goodbye in the video reaffirming that he is the leader of Boko Haram.

By claiming responsibility for the kidnapping of the more than 300 child students at Kankara High School, Boko Haram claims responsibility for what is his largest operation in northwest Nigeria, where he had limited his actions to ambushes against security forces and small-scale kidnappings in exchange for ransom payments.

A source from Boko Haram has confirmed to HumAngle that the terrorist group has not yet announced its demands for the release of the students. Katsina State Governor Aminu Masari said on Monday in a meeting with Nigerian President Muhamadu Buhari that Boko Haram had already made his demands to the families of the kidnapped boys.

“The only time we spoke to the parents was to warn them to tell the military to stop trying to ransom the children by force,” the source quoted by the online newspaper said.

In 2014, Boko Haram kidnapped 276 girls from a school in Chibok, Borno state, of whom 112 are still missing and 164 were released.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here