The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has launched this Thursday night a new airstrike against the northern Gaza Strip, in what is so far the round of attacks of greater impact of the Israeli army.
Families in the area are fleeing because of the intensity of these attacks, in which, according to the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), Israel has launched some 150 airstrikes in the last few minutes.
Israeli media have specified that in addition to aircraft, artillery forces and tanks are participating in the attack, while the IDF has noted on its Twitter profile that “IDF air and ground troops are attacking in the Gaza Strip.”
However, the entry of Israeli ground troops into the Gaza Strip has not taken place for the time being, as clarified by the Israeli Army, which had conveyed diffuse information on the matter.
“Clarification: there are currently no IDF ground troops inside the Gaza Strip. IDF air and ground forces are carrying out strikes against targets in the Gaza Strip,” the army explained.
According to ‘The Times of Israel’, some troops are positioned in an area that is technically inside Gaza territory, but for all intents and purposes is under Israeli control.
At least four people have been killed in these latest bombings, according to the Palestinian agency WAFA, and 50 people have been wounded and transferred to Beit Hanoun hospital, according to the Israeli media Yedioth.
On the other hand, and in relation to the rockets launched from the Strip in response to the Israeli attacks towards the center and south of the country, two men have been wounded in Ascalon, one of them seriously wounded by a shrapnel wound in the stomach, and the other, 90 years old, has suffered a head wound, according to ‘The Times of Israel’.
Precisely in Ascalon, a shell has directly hit a building, leaving another man seriously wounded.
In another round of rockets in the southern city of Beersheba, at least three hit buildings — although most were intercepted by the Iron Dome air defense system — while near Ashdod, a woman died while running to one of the shelters to take shelter after falling and hitting her head, according to the Red Crescent.
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has recalled via Twitter that this new offensive is part of the “high price” they announced they would make Hamas pay.
“I said we would charge Hamas a very high price. We do this and we will continue to do this with great intensity. The last word was not said and this operation will continue for as long as it takes,” he has warned.
He also stressed that “we will act with all our might against enemies abroad and outlaws within to restore calm to the State of Israel.” “We stand one hundred percent behind the Police and the rest of the security forces to restore law and order in Israel’s cities; we will not tolerate lawlessness,” he added.