U.S. believes Iran preparing to send armed drones to Russia
The White House National Security Advisor, Jake Sullivan, said today in a press appearance that he is not aware that these devices have already arrived at their destination. But he affirms that what he is sure of is that Iran is preparing this shipment and that it will begin training Russian forces this month in the use of these armed drones.
Jake emphasizes that the United States will continue to do everything possible to ensure the defense of Ukraine and will help the Ukrainian people to demonstrate that Russia’s efforts to wipe Ukraine off the map “cannot succeed”.
His statements coincide with Joe Biden, the President of the United States, traveling to Israel and Saudi Arabia to discuss one of the most important items on the agenda, the Iranian nuclear program.
What drones will Tehran send to Putin?
The model of these drones is the Shahed 129, an imitation of the US Army’s deadly MQ-9 Predator. It is a model designed for reconnaissance and combat, it is capable of attacking fixed or moving targets.
- The length of the model is about 14 meters, its wings are 17 meters. Its height is 4.8 meters and it can reach a speed of 150km/h.
- The drone has a weight of 2,584kg, an operating radius of 1,700km with autonomy of 24 hours.
- The cost of the machine is $7.5 million.
- Its armament configuration is 8 bombs/4 Sadid-1 missiles.
- The control is performed from the ground control station and requires a pilot and an operator who control the flight of the aircraft.